Thursday, November 02, 2006

Lost: "The Cost of Living" Airdate - November 1, 2006

Sorry!!!! I know I'm late on this. Thanks for all of the e-mail. As much as I love this show, I'm kind of glad that it is going to go on hiatus. I have so much going on over the holidays that I don't think I would be able to keep up with it. Let's jump right in:


Rest In Peace Monsieur Eko. I have to make a "confession" of my own. Last season I thought that it was probably that moment at the airport when Yemi was shot and Eko assumes the identity of a priest that he finally gives his life to God and begins to walk a path of righteousness. I was wrong. It turns out that he remained a bad mofo. A wolf in sheeps clothing. We still don't know what happened if and when he went to London to study in his brothers place... and we may never know now. Even as he stood at the gates (of hell?), being judged by "death," Eko still would not confess because he felt that everything he had done in his life was justified because he did it to survive. We'll get more into that in a second as well as try to dissect the smoke monster. Hang on, let's backtrack a bit... but first, doesn't Amina remind you of Miss Klugh?


Maybe it's just me. I wonder if there might be a connection brewing? "CALL ME NOW!!!" Oh wait... I'm think of Miss Cleo...Cleo...nevermind.

In one flashback scene, Amina does tell Eko that he is just like his Yemi and that he is a good man too. Little does she know... Eko was going to sell the vaccine to get cash before he left the country. What a bastard. It could have been a rouse on Eko's part to draw out the other men who controlled the vaccine. In that case, I take back the bastard comment.

Something tells me they are not playing "I Love The Night Life" at this Disco Bar.



Break out the Kool-aid, it looks like Jack is joining the cult.
Nice shirt. I'm not sure what is more obscure, Colleens funeral (which seems to fit the description of a Sikh ceremony) or Atlanta native Brenda Lee's "I Wonder" playing on the loud speaker. Little Miss Dynamite is still alive btw. Most of the music featured last season came posthumously and several of the artists featured were killed in plane crashes. She does have a one degree connection to Patsy Cline so I guess that counts. Who hit the play button to start the song on the loud speaker? Was it the one eyed pirate in the other hatch (we'll get to him in a second...arrrr)? I have many other Tripp questions such as when did Sayid get back? He was just there... kind of like the new characters, Niki & Paulo. I'm not sure I like them. I wonder what their purpose is going to be? I was hoping to get a little action adventure side story of Sayid, Sun & Jin's trip back to the beach camp. I guess not.


Yes, I'll take a pineapple banana smoothie with a protein boost please.
Locke is feeling a bit more secure with himself these days: "It's a free island." "I'm not Jack" "Don't mistake coincidence for fate."

Why is it that I just don't trust Juliet? Ben even gets inside Jack's head with the 'ol "has it not occurred to you that Juliet bears a striking resemblance to your ex-wife?" I guess if you were trying to break someone, you would want to gain their trust by using someone they feel comfortable around. She appears to be Ben's polar opposite... as far as her bedside manner goes. It could have been that way at first, but maybe Juliet took it too far and is falling for Jack... or maybe she is just trying to make Ben jealous. Sawyer doesn't trust her. He even makes a comment about her a few episodes ago.

"I want you to WANT to save my life." Great! Now I have that damn Cheap Trick song stuck in my head. So if Jack wants to save Ben's life, he becomes "invested"... I guess that means he becomes one of them because he falls in love with Juliet and then he would be operating on Ben because he "chose" to. That sort of leads us back to the discussion on free will...or lack there off as it seems under the reign of Ben. Perhaps that is why Juliet wants jack to kill him and make it look like an accident. Ben does say that they are beyond the whole "want you to Want to" a little later on in that same scene and then he starts a discussion on believing in GOD -"Two days after I found out I have a fatal tumor on my spine, a spinal surgeon fell out of the sky. And if that's not proof of GOD, I don't know what is." I think I have been flip-flopping on whether or not the Others are religious people. Some of the things that have been said lead me to believe that they are not, and then Ben goes and says something like that. Damn! (*erasing some theories I had jotted down a while back*).



So who be the pirate, me hearties? Arrrrrrrrrrggggg. Well, the first time you see this guy with the eye patch, I guess you could assume pirate. However, if you look closer you can see the top part of the Dharma logo on his jump suit. Who could it be? Kelvin? Is that guy still alive? I thought Desmond put him out of his misery. What's to say that it's not a video loop of some sort? Psychological trickery. Or maybe he is the guy who is controlling the smoke... that is if the smoke is not in fact death.


Juliet's big re-enactment of the 1987 INXS video "Mediate" was interesting. I'm not sure there are any plot connections between the show and "To Kill A Mockingbird" though. I think this is where my distrust of Juliet came from. She seems intent on gaining control and sees the operation as an opportunity to get that control. With Ben out of the way, she could finally go home... if that is her intention. Of course this could all be a test. But why go to all the trouble?

We learn in the final flashback that the reason Eko was building a church at the end of last season was because he owed Yemi one. He was at least trying to make his peace with GOD and his brother, but in the end, realized that he only did what he did in his life to survive. And that brings us to Yemi and the smoke monster.


"You speak to me as if I were your brother." Who the hell was he, it, whatever? Was it the smoke in the form of Yemi? Is the smoke death or even God? Or is the smoke something mechanical.

As I watched Eko versus the smoke a few times, I noticed a very distinctive mechanical crank sound. It was the same sound from season one when the pilot is pulled out of the cockpit, and there was another time that I heard that sound but the episode eludes me.

So what does Eko really tell Locke at the end? That's what I want to know. Locke tells Sayid he says that Eko says, "We're next." I have a feeling that was just Locke trying to scare everyone back to the beach camp. I listened to the Eko whisper several times and I swear he says something about "a secret." But I can't make out any of the other words. The promo for next weeks epi hints that Locke does head off on some sort of goose chase... or could it be a smoke out?

Did I hit on everything? I hope so. Sorry for the delay. I'll be a bit more "in the game" this Wednesday. "I Do" is being billed as the Fall Season finale. Does that mean they will make us by two different DVD sets next fall?

I'll leave you with the promo for Wednesday's Fall Season Finale:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to finally read your blog, Tripp!! Got a bit concerned about you!!

Question: Someone on some Lost board mentioned something about the Lostaways finding a glass eye. Not sure if it was with the plane wreckage or where. But the thought that perhaps the glass eye belonged to the guy with the eye patch. Anyone remember anything about the glass eye??

I agree - we don't know who to trust, Juliette or Ben. I'm leaning towards Juliette, because Ben has always been untrustworthy and creepy - but they could do a twist with Juliette too.

If Smokey is in fact Death - and remember all those life images we saw the last time Smokey encountered Eko?? - I wonder why he didn't kill Eko in the past. Perhaps because Eko finally learned the lesson he needed to in his life - that he didn't need to be forgiven, and that he was only doing what he needed to survive.

Can't wait for this week's episode. But I'm sure I'll be sad about waiting months!!

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben is creepy...but, he did let Michael and his son go free. Juliet is the one not to trust entirely, I think.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is that I don't trust Juliet OR Ben. The thing is, though, Jack now has a choice to make and he will have to choose to side with one of them. However, Jack is a doctor who took an oath to help those that are sick. Every time I convince myself one way, I then convince myself in the opposite direction!

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leslie said...
The glass eye was found by the tailies(Ana and Libby's crew) in the hatch that they found. It was in the trunk with the bible that Eko found with the rest of the tape that Eko brought to John.

I thought that Kelvin died by the hands of Desmond, (that day Des followed him).

I think we're just supposed to assume Jin, Sun and Sayid made it back safely. TV does that sometimes, huh?

Ben and Juliet are creepy
altogether. The surgery request seemed forced by both of them. They both seem eager for Jack to do something for them, however all the secrecy is getting them nowhere. Just tell Jack the what's-what and get on with it.
Nobody is asking the common question, shall I repeat myself "Who ARE you people?"
I like John's new attitude, It's a free island... Jack was acting like a boss man to everyone and not really caring what everyone thought.
Oh where the hell is Danielle Roussou? Alex is in the promo for next week, can't wait to see what's up with that, perhaps we'll see Carl again.
Looks like Kate and Sawyer are getting it on in the cages... cage match, how exciting.
But in the canadian promo on youtube Kate goes to see jack and SHE asks him to operate on Ben, be cause if doesn't their gong to kill sawyer....
I don't know what to think of any of this anymore. Maybe we all need this "haitus" to sort through all this crap.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info about the glass eye, Leslie!! I would never have remembered that.

Also, we are led to believe that Ben and Juliette are secretly working out deals with Jack, one against the other. BUT what if they were actually - for some unknown reason - working together on this deception to make Jack more conflicted, or to see what his choice would be. And, if Ben IS a liar, as Juliette says, maybe that's NOT his x-ray and he doesn't have a tumor on his spine.

Back to the same point - how the hell do we know what's really going on??

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to Lostpedia, and there's an entire page about the glass eye. It said what you said, Leslie - and adds some theories about who the person is that owned that glass eye. Very interesting.

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Glass_eye

12:40 PM  
Blogger Tripp said...

I will be searching for the Glass Eye on my season two dvd this afternoon.I think it's in "The Other 48 Days" episode. Thanks for that catch. It was so easily overlooked that I would have never put two and two together.

Steve and I were joking this morning about the imploded hatch. We will probably catch a glimpse of the washer and dryer in the woods somewhere when the season continues on February 7th.

I have been trying to stay away from spoilers today, but couldn't resist the preview videos posted on YouTube. Looks like Locke is has a pretty good theory as to what brought Flight 815 down... but the "why?" is still up in the air. I wonder if we will find out tonight what Eko realy whispered to Locke?

Question of the day: Do you think that the hiatus will cause a lot of viewers to tune out when it returns in February? Something BIG needs and has to happen tonight to keep us on the edge... salivating for more...

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering whether the smoke looked like Yemi because Eko wanted it to. Could this also be similar to when Jack thought he saw his dad in the jungle?
Also mechanical sound from smoke was also heard in Exodus at end of season 1 (i think part 2) when the smoke grabbed Locke. But then it was trying to drag him down a hole - maybe into one of the hatches?

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home