Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Lost: "Further Instructions" Airdate - October 18, 2006

Before I get started, I have to ask if you waited around for next weeks promo? This show is getting psycho. Is Ben jealous that Kate may have feelings for Sawyer? Or is it all part of his psychological game that he is playing for "Two Weeks?" I'm getting ahead of myself.



I think we know from the last two seasons that Locke has issues... sorry I now mean ISSUES. Who in the hell did he hook up with? He found the love and warmth that a family can provide in a hippie commune-cult with a sweat lodge? (Eddie Murphy as Buckwheat is playing in my head right now- "Pookin for nub in all da wong paces.") It now appears to me that Locke has been an unintentional f-up his entire adult life. He means well, but he is just too naive and trusting of others because he is wanting desperately to be loved and accepted.

Eddie, the undercover cop, took full advantage of this as he used Locke to infiltrate the Coresh-esque (that's hard to say) compound. Eddie thinks that they are planning to blow something up. Locke laughs at this comment. Maybe they do have a plan like that in the works and Locke is too naive to see it. On the surface it looks like they are nothing more than pot dealers. And even though he lowers his gun as Eddie starts to walk away, they left the ending of that flashback open. Eddie did make some pretty "Otherish" statements to Locke, such as, "You're not a murderer. You're a good man."


When Edward came to the commune, he was wearing a Geronimo Jackson t-shirt. This band was mentioned last season. I thought that they were a fake band, but Lindelof and Cuse said that they are a real, but obscure band from the 70's. Here's a pic of the album cover:


Is that Libby holding the tambourine? Something I just noticed is that the wiki search for Geronimo Jackson will re-direct you to "The Hunting Party." That's strange. If you want to read more about this obscure band, you can visit the lostpedia site, but beware of spoilers.



"Lift up your eyes and look north" - Genesis 13:14... paraphrased of course because there was not enough space to write the entire verse on his stick. There are a few other verses referenced on Eko's stick:

John 3:05 - Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

Romans 6:12 - "Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires."

Acts 4:12 - "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

I can't make out the verse on the top left, but for those who are...uh... for the sake of argument lets say...uh...sad like me... and you have just zoomed in on the screen capture of Eko's stick, the hatch numbers have been carved into it. I can make out 4, 8, 15, & 16, but you know the rest.

So was the stick blown that far up in the air that it just happened to fall on Locke at that moment? And why were Locke, Eko, and Desmond blown AWAY from the hatch when they probably should have implode with it?

We now know that the release of the magnetic anomaly has given one of them a special gift. Desmond can see into the future. I have to credit my wife for that one. She figured it out right away. Hurley also caught on. I wonder if Desmond will share the gift and help the survivors as they set off to rescue Jack, Kate, & Sawyer. I bet Desmond knows that already. He did reference Locke's speech before he made it.

I'm not sure why Locke was mute after the implosion. Perhaps it has something to do with a spiritual re-birth. He definitely gets spiritual inside his sweat lodge (a ceremonial sauna first used by Native Americans). Read more about it here.

As Charlie puts it, the "indoor fireplace is very snazzy." Was Charlie being a bit more of a smart ass than usual? Locke, in his attempt to hasten his little one on one with the island, mixes up some peyote... er well, I assume it's peyote. It could very well be some other sort of hallucinogenic plant.



It's really been too long since we've seen Boone. I talked to Ian over the summer when he was doing a phone junket for his movie Pulse (look at me, I'm name dropping...geez) and he sort of hinted that he may be back on the show. Although only a guest star, I bet we will still see him a few more times this season as Locke's spirit guide as he is there to help Locke find his way again and "BRING THE FAMILY BACK TOGETHER?" WTF? This was a somewhat sinister statement. Maybe it was just they way he said it. Is he referring to the family of survivors? Or could he be talking about the family of the Others? There are supposed to be kids somewhere. Ah damn, my brain is starting to fry. Maybe I should stop for the night... naaaahhh, I'll keep going.


Are Locke's legs that ugly or was that a set up shot to show the point of injury on his legs? As well as show why he was in the wheel chair? It looks broken and maybe burned.


"Someone in this airport is in serious danger. You are the only one who can save them." Even after watching the promo earlier this week over and over, I still find this scene bizarre...in a 12 Monkeys kind of way. "Forget it. He's helping himself" is what Boone says about Desmond. So I guess he will not use his gift to help the survivors. There were a few cool things that the producers threw in for the fanatics:

Hurley inputs the numbers into his computer.


The security wand makes the beeping sound from the hatch computer.


And yes that is Ben wanding Jack in sweat lodge trip, man.


Based on the number of times that "clean up your own mess" echoes in the hallucination, I take it that was an important line? And then the damn polar bear jumps out of the fire causing some temporary and minor incontinence.

This will totally be my album cover if I can ever get my 80's metal band going.


As Eko was dragged by the polar bear, he left a trail for Locke to track him. I wonder how many bears are loose on the island? One was killed and another captured Eko. Mr. Friendly did use the plural when referring to the bears, so we know there were at least two. Funny that Charlie liked to watch nature programs when he was high. I had some friends in college that did the same damn thing. Charlie drops the knowledge that polar bears are smart and crafty... of course these are Dharma bears which means they are probably smarter than the average bear...hey Boo Boo.

"Bad things happen to people who hang around with me." This statement is a forshadowing of what is to come in future Locke flashbacks.

... I hate to quit now, but I need sleep. I'll be back later on Thursday with more screen caps and commentary on this episode.

(***a week has passed and my mind is still a little fuzzy from this episode***)

I am going back through the show just to make sure that I didn't miss anything. I heard a rumor today that a major character is going to die in the episode after next (next being tonights epi because I neglected my blog for a week). Not sure who and I really don't want to see anyone go. Back to "Further Instructions."

Here's a pic of what's left of the hatch:

I asked before, if it imploded how is it that Desmond, Locke, and Eko were blown away from it? Was it when he turned the key? Did that release of magnetic energy send them sailing before that hatch was sucked in? We may never know. Then again, keep it on a back burner because it very well may be addressed in another episode.

So when do you think Hurley's luck will run out? Saved by a canteen...dude. As Hurley is filiing them in on his adventures on the dock, Locke is shocked to learn that Henry, uh...Ben... is "their leader."

Oh look! It's Ben's old Tonka truck. There are a lot of bones in that cave. Even one skeleton has a Dharma logo on it. Are they all bear kills? Could that be some of the people involved in the Dharma Initiative when the "accident" happened in 1984-ish?

"You can still protect them. You can still save them. You will find them... after all, you are a hunter John." So who was speaking through Eko? Someone from Locke's past? God? The island? The Black Smoke? *Insert Mystery Stinger here* Tune in next time when you here Eko say, "Aaaaaaarrrarrrruuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

6 Comments:

Blogger Tripp said...

That is Ben in the dream sequence wanding Jack. I haven't gotten to that yet but I will. So is Jack the one in the airport who is in serious danger? Or was Boone implying that the one in trouble was Locke? And what's with the escalator?

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said the Others have Kate, Sawyer, Jack and Sun, did I miss something? I thought the last time I saw Sun she jumped off of the boat and Jin met her in the water.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Tripp said...

Oops... Brain fart. You're right Bob. I was really tired last night. Sun did jump off the boat. I'll change that right now. Thanks! The questions that remains is will Sun, Jin, & Sayid make it back without being captured by the Others? Didn't Sayid say that they would take the beach all the way around? Is that even possible. I thought there was one area of the island that was very rocky and impassible. I could be wrong. Thanks for catching that.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that whole airport flashback looks like a big metaphor for all the people on the island kate,jack,and sawyer are in security aka captured by the others
sun,jin,sayid in line to get there tickets,not sure of hte connection there mabe that there next to be cought, desmond by himself hes always been a loaner, charlie,clair, and baby boone says there ok for now ,hint mabe till the baby gets older? the escalator is mabe a metaphor for locks Ascension to power or a higher path to salvation for his sins mabe

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed reading your blog- helps give me good insight...Why do think Desmond was without clothes? I loved Hurley with his "dude" comment. ALso, everyone in Locke's dream was looking clean and all primped, especially Kate, why do think or do they just want to us to see them all cleaned up. Also, I wonder if in the pop-hippie-camp is where Locke got his injury. Thanks.

5:37 PM  
Blogger silver rock said...

So maybe I missed something somewhere along the line, but where the hell did Locke get the peyote? Had that been mentioned in some other episode? Just seemed a little bit convenient.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home