Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Lost: "Catch 22" Airdate - April 18, 2007

I have come to the realization that I may never get caught up so I decided to just jump right back in with this episode and try to catch up at a later date. I know that a lot of people have given up on me and my blog...what can I say but life got in the way. Everything is starting to settle down a bit so I should be able to dig into the final four episodes and the cataclysmic season finale without any more delays. With that said let's jump into "Catch 22."

It was another Desmond flashback episode, but I have to say that Sawyer stole the show. He had some great lines: "How about some Afternoon Delight?" "Do you need me to make you a mixtape?" "Are you two arguing over who's your favorite Other?" "If we don't play every 108 minutes..." The mixtape line had me laughing so hard, I missed the next few lines and had to pick back up with Hurley convincing Jin that he and Desmond were going camping.

"Catch 22" went way back into Desmond's life. From what we learned, he has always run away from what mattered. He considers himself a coward. At one time he was engaged to Ruth, but ran away a week before the wedding to join a monastery. I didn't catch the name of the head monk, but the name of the wine was Moriah Vineyard. In the Bible, God asks Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac on Mount Moriah. It was only a test of God.

We saw the pic of Desmond and Penny several times in the episode...did anyone catch the other picture on the desk of the head monk. It was a picture with the monk and the weird lady in the jewelry store/ring shop from the last Desmond flashback episode (it was a bad photoshopped picture); someone he hasn't met yet, but now has ties back to the monastery. And rightfully so because it is there where he meets Penny, the "next" in "whatever comes next." What the monk tells Desmond is pretty important: "You just spent too much time running away that you didn't realize what you may be running towards."

Meanwhile, back on the island, Desmond's visions lead a small group on a short expedition... er well, before the expedition can begin, Desmond has to set things in motion. He is so sure that Penny is coming to the island that he is willing to let Charlie die to get to her. Of course he saves Charlie again even though he knows that it will keep happening again and again until death finally catches up to Charlie. There has been some talk as of late that Desmond may be the next to die. If that happens, Charlie won't be far behind... and I suspect that if Desmond goes, Charlie will stick close to Claire thus bringing about her death as well. This of course is just speculation on my part... just little 'ol me rambling again.

I got a call just as the episode ended asking who I thought the girl who parachuted from the helicopter is? It certainly looked like Sayid's girl Nadia, but I don't think it's her. We'll have to wait and see. In her pack was a satellite phone, a book titled "Ardil-22," which is Portugese for "Catch 22" btw.

Kate is jealous of Jack and Juliet, so she "jumps" Sawyer. Here's a question: what happens when The Others arrive in a week and Jack realizes that Juliet has betrayed his trust, provided he survives the cataclysmic season finale? Will he go running back to Kate? Will the love triangle continue?

A few things to look up later in the day on Thursday: (wikipedia is wonderful)
1. Moriah Vineyard
2. Isaac
3. Ruth (as a biblical name)
4. "The Best of Phil Collins" (not really... but it was funny how they attributed the tape to Bernard who we haven't seen in a while. A clever way to keep his character in the loop.)
5. Ardil-22/Catch 22

I think that is pretty much it. I'll log on tomorrow and add anything that I may have forgotten to mention. It's good to be back. Thanks for being patient with me. I'll try to back track through the last few episodes if I get some free time this weekend.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! We missed you. Maybe the woman in the parachute is someone Penny hired to find Desmond. That would explain his confusion and the photo in her book.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Tripp said...

I'm sure that the lady in the tree is just an employee of Penny, but the more I think of it, the more of a cool twist it would be to bring Nadia to the island this way.

I am currently doing some more digging on the biblical references in this episode. I'll post findings as I can through out the day.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tripp,

SOOO glad you're back.

I don't think it's Nadia, but someone employed by Penny, whose dad owns Widmore.

It's interesting that the book is the Portuguese version of Catch 22. Weren't the 2 reseachers speaking Portuguese at the end of last season - the ones who called Penny and said "We found it?"

There is just so much going on right now. Keep in mind, they've only been on the island for about 90 days, I think it's getting close to Christmas 2004.

I don't think Juliet is a true "other." I think she is on the island, but wants to get off. She will hurt anyone - Lostie or Other - to get off the island. I think she is a bit cold blooded, but other than that is like everyone else - a little good, a little bad, but who knows what we'd do in her circumstances?

Just a few random comments from me.

Are the Others and the DHARMA initiative the same people? Who was Mikhail referring to when he said the "infidels?" Was he an Other, DHARMA, or something else? I can't keep up with how many groups there are. Anyone have any thoughts?

I keep hearing rumors that Lost won't be back until Jan. 2008 and run thru May. I wonder if that's true.

Thanks,
LK

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Glad you're back. Was kind of getting lonely here watching the episodes without your input.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, life does get busy huh?
I liked the Sawyer-ism's this week. Afternoon delight was my favorite by far. Kate getting dressed, with the gratuitous partial nudity keeps my hubby watching. :-)
Anyway, Abraham, "Jacob's list", Juliet's sister "Rachel", all of these biblical names are very intriging. There has got to be a connection between, being good, fertility and "playing god" etc.

I hope Jack gets his ass kicked for trusting Juliet. Sawyer, Jin and Sayid are going to open up a can of whoop-ass on him after Ben comes Back (he said "see you in a week" to Juliet, so we haven't seen the last of him yet)...
I'm so glad you're back.
Oh, I think the parachuter is/was hired by Penny and all ther big $$.
At first I thought it was Nadia too.
Glad your back.
Leslie (Aaron's cooler sister)

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are back, Tripp!

I wanted to post this last week, but thought for sure I would be behind the power curve. I went through the weekend and no one has brough it up yet.

Why hasn't anyone said "Hey, screw the beach, we can live in houses with electricity, running water and all the comforts of home. Fields to play football in etc. Phones, lights and motorcars"...hahaha.

Jack, Kate, and Sayid all for sure know what the conditions are like in the "Others" area. Kate knows that Julliet has the key and the code for the EMP fence. Why hasn't anyone pushed to get off the beach? It is supposed to be our belief that the "Others" are gone, correct? So, if Julliet is such a great gal and really wanting to help, instead of building her own shelter out of the items given to her by Jack, and then her and Jack skipping the light fandango over some Darhma Dinty Moore, hike to civilization and start seeing if there is anything there you can use to get yourselves saved.

What am I missing? Why does this seem so obvious to me, and my freinds all look at me weird when I suggest it? Any thoughts?

Tim
Peachtree City, GA

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home