Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Lost: "Not In Portland" Airdate - Feb. 7, 2007

Lost came back in a big way. I have chills right now. I wasn't going to blog until I re-watched the episode and pulled some screen caps. Since it is on at 10:00pm now, I won't be doing that until Thursday afternoon, but I couldn't stand it... I wanted to list a few of the things I picked up on.

Juliet was doing "illegal and unethical" fertility research using medication from her ex-husband's (Edmund Burke) lab. Her test subject or "guinea pig" is her sister Rachel. The experiment works and her sister gets pregnant. Because her research works, she is recruited by the Portland bio-science company. The name of the company is Mittellos Bio Science. Keep an eye out for an "easter egg" website built around the company. Mittelos is obviously a front for Hanso and the Dharma Initiative. It appears to me that Juliet was recruited by Mr. Alpert into captivity. She was/is forced to stay on the island. She has been there for 3 years, 2 months, and 28 days. We also see Ethan several times in the flashbacks. He is already working with Dharma. "We're not quite in Portland..." By the way, if you haven't figured it out yet, Mittelos is an anagram for "Lost Time." TIME is very important in this episode. I'll get more into it when I have "time" to re-watch and digest everything.

Quickly, what else did we learn:

1. Sawyer hasn't lost his edge: "Nice to meet you Sheenah" and "The Ol' Wookie Prisoner Gag."

2. Mr. Friendly aka Zeke's real name is Tom. At one point he begins to tell Jack why they didn't just leave and take Ben to a doctor. He says something about the purple sky, but I need to go back and watch it again.

3. Karl is in some sort of psychological brain-washing room and it was very "A Clockwork Orange." Screen caps coming soon.

4. In her interview in Portland, Juliet says that the only way she would be able to take the job was if Ed got hit by a bus... and he does. Was Ethan driving?

5. Alex is Ben's daughter, or at least Ben is all she has ever known. I wonder if she will ever discover the truth about Rousseau.

I'm sure there is much more to discuss, but this new time slot is killing me. I'll be back later on Thursday. Next week, I'll be blogging from Disney World.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leslie Said-
Wow, A Clockwork Orange, is exactly like I said it last night. Poor Carl, he looked pretty "f'd up". I wonder if that was his punishment from trying to escape before.

I just watched it again, and Ethan CREEPS me out totally!

It looks like they're doing some sort of research on fertility on this freaky island and that's why they recruited her? "Impregnanting a male mouse", that's just weird?

SO many questions, so little answers thus far.
'til next week, Bye!

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally loved this episode! Not a ton of answers and not much about the rest of the cast on the "main" island, but I think we needed to see some more about Juliet. I hope Tripp puts a screen shot of Juliet swiping her card at the lab - they flashed that pretty quickly, I thought. Did anyone notice what Carl's room number was? 23!! Those darn numbers again...

I'm thinking Ethan was spying on Juliet (we see him leaving the lab in the first 10 seconds, but he obviously had no reason to be there), and once he found out what she was up to, he reported that she was someone to recruit.

Question: was Juliet's sister sick and trying to get pregnant or was trying to get pregnant what was making her sick?

Looking forward to our weekly meetings! :o)
LK

7:49 AM  
Blogger Tripp said...

All of the possible "easter eggs" flashed across the screen very quickly. I will be going back through the episode this evening and gathering screen captures.

I think Ethan was checking on Rachel in the first few seconds. Maybe running some tests. I'll have to watch again to see exactly where he comes from. I could be wrong. In any case, he was definitely keeping an eye on what Juliet was doing.

Juliet's sister's sickness is something I questioned as well. Was she sick before or was it the treatments that made her sick? Another question to add to the list.

If this Mr. Alpert can "make" Edmund get hit by a bus, surely he could bring down a plane at the right TIME and place. What's his connection to Ben? Tom begins to explain why they couldn't take Ben off the island, but is interrupted. Perhaps, Mr. Alpert or someone higher up in Dharma sent the plane to the island so Jack could operate on and fix Ben.

Just a few thoughts to ponder until I can re-watch.

8:21 AM  
Blogger theConundrumm said...

a good solid episode... lots of 'devil in the details' moments... just one thing though... we've known Tom's name since late season 2... Mrs Kluhe clued us in on that one when Kate called him out regarding the fake beard

12:20 PM  
Blogger MsYvone said...

The thing that made me laugh was that the "hit by a bus" scene was almost exactly like "MEAN GIRLS", and the ex-husband (bus-hitee) reminded me of the ass-hole Dr. from E.R. a few years back. I don't really see how they could have manipulated the DR getting hit by a bus, but it is quite the coincidence.

I concur, Ethan is too freaking creepy.

I immediately thought that Juliet's sister had cancer when I first saw her, and with the loss of hair, she'd most definitely be getting chemo. But, if thats true, why would she try to get pregnant while getting radiation therapy, so that doesnt make sense.

From the LOST sites that really get into many time consuming hours researching this stuff, it seems HANSO was in the adoption business, but doing it backwards, finding the correct parents to go with the child's personality. I think you can find more of that on hansocorp.com?

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home